Monday, March 15, 2010

Next workshops



introductory encaustic workshops, March 29 & 30, and April 19 & 20. The first two days of the workshop, we will cover the basics of making and using the paint and heat sources. Demonstrations include: tools and techniques for fusing, layering and scraping/scribing, building up of texture, line and edge and collage.

The advanced technique workshops are April 1 & 2 and April 22 & 23.
The last two days we will focus on surfacing, embedding, transparencies, glazing and incising. We will explore assemblage, casting, carving, and working 3-Dimensionally, monotype, image transfer, combining oil and encaustic and dipping. You will have four finished paintings after the workshop. It is necessary to have experience in encaustic to utilize this advanced workshop.

I provide all materials necessary: wood panels, brushes, encaustic paint, oil paint, cutting tools, heat sources, and as much instruction as you wish, but you may want to bring some of the following:
* Special papers, collage elements, transfers
* Small objects to embed in the wax
* Drawings or images that you'd like to recycle

The cost is $200 U.S. or the equivalent in pesos, plus $25 materials fee. Checks or cash are acceptable. A 50% deposit is required at registration. contact me by email with any questions. ezshwan4art@yahoo.com.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful Ezshwan! You have definitely made a fan out of me because of not only your beautiful paintings, but that you teach with the blowtorch!

    I have a small propane torch and borrow a larger blowtorch but I am still too afraid of burning my house down to use it.

    I am not sure I will ever teach the torch to my workshop participants. Some of them are even scared of the heatgun! Maybe someday I will be confident in the torch to teach it to others.

    Love your blog!
    Jaime Lyerly

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jamie,

    Many of the people in my workshops are afraid of the torch at first. I offer the use of a heat gun and/or the torch and let them choose with works best for them. I only have had one "fire" when a student set her collage material on fire and frightened the rest of the people. I insisted that she use the heat gun from then on. Also, I keep a bucket of water in the studio in case anyone gets hot encaustic on their hands. I advise just sticking their hands in the water, cooling the wax and then peeling it off. Hundreds of students later, I am the only one that has had to use the bucket of water.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Please leave your comments and suggestions on what you would like to see on this blog.