Friday, September 2, 2011

The many lives of this encaustic painting



I  decided to  photograph the progress of this painting and it turned out to be a valuable experience.

I usually apply the hot encaustic paint while the painting is flat on the table and fuse it with the torch.  When I put it on an easel,  I get a whole other view of it.

At the end of each painting session, when I think the painting might be finished. I hang the work on a wall in a sun flooded hall that I can see from my desk and the living room.

Each day, as time passed into evening, I felt uncomfortable about the painting. I could then review the work of the previous days in the saved photos and see where I had made improvements or really messed up.

I had gotten to the point where I posted the painting with the medallion on my fan page and website, but still felt an uneasiness about it.

Wednesday and Thursday a few artists visited me in the studio and I asked there opinion about this painting. All three of them went right to the weak spot. I had added a textured small circle to the middle of it and it just wasn't working. Today, I got rid of that spot and enhanced some of the color.


What do you think?


Out damned spot!
This was about the third or fourth day
s

2nd day
End of the first day. Hardly the same painting

2 comments:

  1. I like it better without the spot too. Maybe if the spot were placed off center it would have worked. Not sure. Colors are great on this one-muted and yet vibrant at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right. The spot either needed to be much bigger, or not at all. The not at all worked.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Please leave your comments and suggestions on what you would like to see on this blog.