Friday, September 18, 2015

it's Taking Longer Than I Thought

I did work in the studio for a couple of days, but today I feel as if my body was used as a punching bag. I had hoped that after a week of resting, reading, and thinking, I would have had my energy back.

One of the thoughts I had during that quiet time was, "Why do I continue making art?" I have loads of paintings in the stacks that I haven't looked at in some time. Do I need to make more? Until I was hit with shingles, I was of the same opinion as Frank Auerback, a well known painter in Germany. who is a few years older than I.  He said, "It seems to me madness to wake up in the morning and do something other than paint, considering that one may not wake up the following morning." 

I hope  to feel that way again.

From the Series, "Other Realities" Oil and collage, 1999

more "Other Realities" 1999. this painting was on load to a friend. She chose to give it away.






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Please leave your comments and suggestions on what you would like to see on this blog.