Sunday, June 2, 2013

Encaustic sculpture - finished

I finished the self portrait for the show at the Encaustic Art Institute. "Nest Egg". It isn't a good likeness, since it is missing the wrinkles and lines on my face.

 I was asked if I used a mold, plaster or other things in building it. No. It is 100% encaustic. I started with a lump of warm wax - a result of lots of scraping from my students and myself, to mold some rough features. Then after cutting and refining with clay tools, I painted flesh tones from my figurative painting palette. ( See my book, Painting Portraits in Encaustic, available on Blurb) After a few days of work, I mounted the cool sculpture on a nest painting that I made last year. The eggs are encaustic also.

NEST EGG


3 comments:

  1. Beautiful!! You have outdone "yourself." Such creativity & inspiration!! Smiles, K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ezshwan how did you mount it? I did something similar with faces....I hope it holds up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just saw you comment Christine. I glued the face on the board.

      Delete

I love hearing from you. Please leave your comments and suggestions on what you would like to see on this blog.