Monday, November 9, 2015

My Highway Hero

Yesterday, I felt well enough to return to my Sunday morning meditation group, after being absent for many weeks. It was a joy to share time and space with other devotees.

Afterwards, I went to a supermarket to pick up a few things. It was a lovely Sunday morning with little traffic. I was driving on the highway, headed home, when my car stopped. I didn't know what to do. I glided to the side of the road. Knowing that my regular mechanic is not available on Sundays, I tried calling my daughter and my neighbors. No one answered the phone.

What to do? I stepped out of my car onto the meridian, thinking that if the car were to be rear ended, it would be best to not be inside.

There I was; a little old lady standing by the car with a cell phone in hand, undoubtedly looking bewildered, when a rather beat out old van pulled in front of my disabled car and a Mexican man in a leather jacket got out and offered to help. He answered my attempt in Spanish to explain the situation in English. He said his name was Choo Choo and he had been working in California and was now back in San Miguel.

He first thought I was out of gas.  I never drive with a close to empty gas tank, but he got back in his car and pushed my car to a side street and said he would go for gas.
a few dents and scratches are the reminders of my adventure.

He said, "Don't worry. I will come back."

He returned with the gas, and I showed him the gas gauge, proving that I still had 1/3 of a tank.
He said, "Don't worry. I have lots of friends. I will call a mechanic" Within 5 minutes, the mechanic showed up, looked under the hood and diagnosed the problem as a broken belt.

Then, the adventure began. Choo Choo, using his van pushed my car across the highway to the other side, crossed the road again, and got up a hill to the mechanic's shop that he just opened for me.

After Juan Diego, the mechanic, said he could fix my car in 2 or 3 hours, Choo Choo said he had to go.

I thanked him profusely; asked how I could ever repay him. He  said, " People need to help others, and just keep me in your prayers."

I still get teary eyed thinking about my highway hero, who is also one of my angels.

My dear neighbors came to pick me up, standing at the side of the road; took me home, and back back down to the mechanic when the car was ready.

I think of how blessed I am that the car broke down at that time and place, and there are angels are everywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Please leave your comments and suggestions on what you would like to see on this blog.