Tuesday, October 18, 2016

63 Years between My First and Latest Abstracts


I painted my first abstract painting when I was in art school. I think it was 1953. I learned much from this little Braque inspired painting ; using negative space to create form, the push and pull of shapes and color.

 The dean of the freshman art department reprimanded me when he saw it hung along  side of my classmates work, telling me that I shouldn't be making that kind of art until I was a senior.  I was a freshman.  My teacher, encouraged and pushed me to create this, but  told me I probably would not get a good grade because I was doing something different than the rest of the class.( I was used to getting A's on everything I did.)  I received a B- on this one. In spite of the criticism, this little painting was chosen as one of the best coming out the design course for the year end final student school. It is one I keep as a reminder to not take criticism too seriously. 

casein on illustration board, 1953

63 years later: encaustic, ink, gold leaf and rice paper in paper. Matted and ready to frame, Mat size 20" x 14" $185 US

ink, watercolor, encaustic, charcoal on patter. 14" x 10 "mat 20" x 16" $185 US







No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Please leave your comments and suggestions on what you would like to see on this blog.