Saturday, January 27, 2018

Nudes in Art?

acrylic on canvas, 1988
This is the first nude I painted when I was a freshman in art school.
I posted an older encaustic painting on an encaustic Facebook page and it started a flood of comments after my post was flagged as being objectionable.

I have been working from live, nude  models since I was 19 years old. In art school, along with drawing and painting the figure, we studied human anatomy for 2 semesters. We had to know all the bones of the skeleton, and the names of them the first semester and the second semester, the muscles had to be learned and at the final exam, we had to draw them from memory.

Anyone upset about these paintings? The human form is still a thing of beauty for me. Interesting that this painting was upsetting to an unidentified complainer.
Here is that trouble maker..     



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Please leave your comments and suggestions on what you would like to see on this blog.