Friday, August 30, 2019

Comprehensive Encaustic Workshops

learning to incise
The August workshops are over and both the group class of 5 people and the private class of advanced techniques were fun and inspiring, both for me and the participants. I am planning the next workshop in September.

group class

Advanced technique class


I will be taking a break from teaching in October to visit family in Scottsdale Arizona. In many ways that it a bit like going home. Here is where I, with a partner, opened my first gallery. It was a tremendous amount of work. I learned a great deal, especially about working with other artists. I have great respect for professional galleries. I understand what it takes to represent, display, advertise and host openings. Time, money and patience is needed.

Gallery reception


I am planning a 3 days workshop in October. Two people have already signed up and there is room for two more. It will be comprehensive

My 3-Day Encaustic  workshop provides a solid base in techniques and best practises for working with encaustic. Throughout this class, I encourage creative development in painting, layering, mark-making, and mixed media work. Students are introduced to effective studio setup, tools, and health and safety. I begin by approaching encaustic as a direct painting medium. Students become familiar and comfortable with brushwork, fusing, and layering.

Advanced techniques

I supply all the materials

Day 2 of the intro to encasutic


 This class examines the specific characteristics which make wax a unique material to work with; including opacity, temperature, adhesion, and texture. Next, we look at the many ways encaustic is adaptable to other mediums and artistic processes. Additional techniques we explore include collage,  image transfer, and combining oil and wax. After each demonstration, you are given time to work hands-on with the wax to explore each technique at your own pace. By the third day I will spend at least an hour working personally with each student, answering any and all questions.

Demo for the three day class



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Please leave your comments and suggestions on what you would like to see on this blog.