Tuesday, September 24, 2019

Artists Are Always Young



"Artist are Always Young" this quote was written under my high school year book photo.

I remember the picture well, I had just come back from a swimming class and my hair was a mess. I chucked at the quote, not being terribly impressed at 17 years old, I was more concerned about the unflattering photo.



Me, 2019
Dad' Day at the University of Illinois, where I was majoring in painting and commercial design

In this shot from a local newspaper, I was working from a nude model, circa 1959


Now, many, many years later, I understand. Artists are always young because we are never finished with our work. Just when I get the inclination to put the paints away, I get another idea about developing more techniques for my paintings.

It has been more than 60 years that I have been a working artist.

Just finished this abstract. Encaustic and mixed media, on board


I had a battle convincing my parents to let me be an art major in college. My mother often said, "You are going to have to survive on beans and live in a cold-water flat." She insisted that I take a semester of typing so I could get a job after school. My first job was in the art department in a book publishing company in Chicago.

I always carried a sketchbook when I was traveling with my jazz musician, Kai Winding. I sketched and painted musicians for 12 years.
backstage at the Nice, France jazz festival, circa 1981


Process of a very large mural, circa 1990
My Christmas display in Artisimo Gallery's gift shop. About 23 years ago.
My partners in my first gallery, Artisimo, Scottsdale AZ. Note the T shirts I painted for some occasion.


My first abstract painting done during my second year in art school. Casein on illustration board. circa 1953












No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Please leave your comments and suggestions on what you would like to see on this blog.