Monday, June 6, 2011

What happened?

This 22" x 36" painting had many lives over the past few weeks. I applied more and more encaustic paint, more collage, lots of clear medium and it still wasn't working. Yesterday, I decided to scrape off the whole thing while it was still hot. The first slashing scrapes started to reveal some of the uncountable layers underneath. I felt it was becoming interesting, so I continued cutting into it until I saw a rhythm of patterns. It certainly isn't a part of the Soul Whispers series, it reminds me of a De Kooning or Basquiat.

2 comments:

  1. It is very interesting seeing the collage come through. I've been experimenting with some cold wax lately and so far I do like the effects. I'm waiting for a piece to dry right now. It does take longer to dry than the regular encaustic, which seems to dry almost instantly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right. As soon as the encaustic cools, it solidifies. I used cold wax many years ago as an oil painting medium. It is a whole different technique and will never have the surface of encaustic,which continues to harden over time, but cold wax does add texture and enhances the brush strokes.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you. Please leave your comments and suggestions on what you would like to see on this blog.