Friday, July 1, 2016

Make Angry Art and Become Famous



July 16 & 17th of this month, I am having a sale of almost all of my paintings. This includes encasutic, oil and drawings. There are figurative and abstract paintings. Paintings done before 2014 will be 50 to 60% off. I have posted only a sampling of what will be available. The doors open at 1pm both days and finish at 4:30. Previews by appointment. Directions to my home. studio/ gallery are found on my webiste: http:www.ezshwan.com

Why am I doing this you may ask? I am a painter. It is what I do. I make visual art to be seen. My online galleries are good, but they don't give the collector the chance to experience, or touch the art in person and I have scores of paintings that haven't been seen or at least not for a long time.
 
I sometimes ask myself, Why am I making more art?" I was sent this article by Enrique Martínez Celaya and it expresses how I feel about creating and continuing to make art until I am physically unable to do that. Below are some excerpts from his article:

“Being an artist is not a posture or a profession, but a way of being in the world and in relation to yourself. An artist is revealed in his or her choices.... Understanding who you are as an artist should be thought of as a life-long process inseparable from your work.”

“How can you stay vital? Study yourself. Study the world. But do not become an authority on either. Something secret, mysterious, must always remain.”
“The viewer completes the endeavor. There is no work of work of art without the viewer.” 


 

Notes on Ethics
• “Wide acclaim is not needed for something to be true.”


“The qualities that distinguish great art from the rest are, directly or indirectly, related to ethics.
At the heart of great art you will find love and compassion

It was suggested to me that if I wanted to become famous in Mexico I should make angry art. That will never happen.

















No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Please leave your comments and suggestions on what you would like to see on this blog.