Friday, July 22, 2016

Take This and Make it Yours

Preparing for the show/sale last week, I uncovered older work, press releases from long ago and reviews that I haven't seen in years.

I had a feeling of satisfaction revisiting years and years of work. Of course I am happy that many of my paintings went to new homes. Visual artists make art to be seen and shared.

One of my favorite paintings done about 1995 - (I wish I would have dated all my work,) reminded me of a comment made to me shortly after I moved to San Miguel de Allende in 2004. After hearing a bit about my previous life, a new friend asked me if I have ever had therapy. The answer was no. It was then that I realized that my art has been my therapy. This painting, see below, is from a series I made called, "Her Journey",about a woman's desire to be self realized, whole, and free from feminine stereotypes. The name of this painting is "My God Has Been Too Small"

I still have the wonderful comments from the International Art Review about this series;

"Ezshwan is one of those rare people who has the ability to take her very personal life experiences and speak them to others in a way that not only allows ownership but encourages it. Her paintings say to you, 'Here, take this and make it yours' They are not threatening, they do not leave you feeling like you are the only person in the room who can not understand. Her work is a warm, comforting embrace"
"I know in the art world what i am about to say cloud almost be considered the kiss of death, but I'm going to say it anyway;Ezshwan's work is beautiful. Ezshwan, I know would argue with me, but I beg to differ. These pieces are works you would want to bring into and incorporate into your lie and home, as many have done. I will concur with Ezshwan that her work porobaly would not match your sofa, but beyond that, who among us has never loved a woman? In her paintings you see your friends, your sisters, maybe yourself. You can not help but to see a profound and deeply personal spiritual journey played out before you."
"Blessed Am I Among women"


I Open My Hand and Let Go

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Please leave your comments and suggestions on what you would like to see on this blog.