Saturday, July 18, 2015

The Best of Two Worlds

I feel so blessed to be living on the outskirts of San Miguel de Allende. I am sure none of my friends would consider living 10 minutes out of the center, but my daughter and I share a wonderful large house surrounded by gentle, rolling, green hills and a 360 degree view from our mirador room upstairs.

I drive into town often, (there is a bus), but I usually have a list of things to do and want to get home as soon as possible, where the air is fresh and sweet, vs the heavy exhaust fumes, noise and crowds of town,  gang graffiti, or poisonous mosquito spraying.

Don't get me wrong, I love living in San Miguel and in August, I will have been here 11 years and can't image living anywhere else. Also, in August, I will celebrate my 81st birthday and do not need to be always in the midst of activity.

Yesterday, Cynthia and I decided to go to town, just to experience it with no agenda; like tourists. It was fantastic! We started out by going to an estate sale of art, then experienced a minor miracle by finding a parking place in town and walked to the liquor store to find our favorite wine; Casa Madera Rosado. ( A few months ago, I would have turned up my nose at the mention of a rosé wine). We walked by the extensive red carpet and outdoor crystal chandelier in front of the performing art's theater, then on to the first art, poetry, food and drink event. This was delightful. We met many friends there and were impressed by what this gallery, B & B was presenting. Next, we walked through the crowds that were in town for the opening of the International Film Festival, through the jardin, (the outdoor living room of San Miguel) to the next gallery opening, featuring a few of our friends' new work. It was crowded with enthusiastic viewers.

We had worked up an appetite  and decided to go to our favorite restaurant for the 2 for 1 wine offer and the best pizza I have had outside of Italy; a combo of Gorgonzola, pear and vegetarian.

Fully inspired by the fantastic offerings of this amazing town, we headed home to breathe the sweet, flower scented air and offer thanks for our blessings.

The first art opening - fried cheese balls

A mouth watering offering of dips from Victoria Challancin, see her blog postings, "Flavor of the Sun"

The festivities were beginning

Just your usual golden revolutionary soldier

Patiently waiting

The Jardin

It's not only a meeting place for people

The stage is set for the concert, celebrating the opening of the Film Festival

texting mariachis

street are crowded

Inside the restaurant :Cent'anni

Our pizza

sun rise this morning from the mirador in our house

My time for meditation, yoga and gratitude




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Please leave your comments and suggestions on what you would like to see on this blog.