Sunday, September 1, 2013

Great days in Puebla








I had a brief, but delightful vacation in Pubela. I went with a tour group, but after getting settled I went out on my own to explore this beautiful city.

Puebla is about 80 miles south of Mexico City.

Many people in the States think that Cinco de Mayo is a celebration like Independence Day in the U.S. Not so. Mexican Independence day is in September.

The Battle of Puebla took place on 5 May 1862 near the city of Puebla during the French intervention in Mexico. The battle ended in a victory for the Mexican Army over the occupying French forces. The French eventually overran the Mexicans in subsequent battles, but the Mexican victory at Puebla against a much better equipped and larger French army provided a significant morale boost to the Mexican army and also helped slow the French army's advance towards Mexico City.
The Mexican victory is celebrated yearly on the fifth of May. Its celebration is regional in Mexico, primarily in the state of Puebla, where the holiday is celebrated as El Día de la Batalla de Puebla (English: The Day of the Battle of Puebla). There is some limited recognition of the holiday in other parts of the country. This holiday remains very popular in the United States where it is celebrated annually as Cinco de Mayo.

Here is a link with detail about this city: http://www.visitmexico.com/en/puebla


The Amparo art museum was the first place I visited. I had been there a few years ago and was impressed, but since then there has been extensive remodeling. I was very impressed how the ancient structure moved smoothly into the contemporary additions.


The altar of the main church - I lost count of how many churches I explored.
I wandered for hours, enjoying the colors of the buildings, the trees, the tranquility of a big city and the energy of Puebla.

I will be posting more photos for the next few days
Early morning in the Zocolo - the plaza in the center of town

Bronze sculptures outside of a church


The cool of early morning

The view from the roof of the Amparo art museum. I loved how the glass fractured the view

outside seating on the roof

even the ventilation ducts added to the composition

stainless steel sculptures outside the cathedral



a long  pedestrian street

The city is famous for Talavera ceramics - and mole



This background reminded me of a lacy valentine

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Please leave your comments and suggestions on what you would like to see on this blog.