Friday, April 10, 2015

What is So Rare As a Day In June? (April in San Miguel)

These warm sunny days are like magic for the growing vegetables and flowers. I can almost see them growing before my eyes. This magical event brought to mind the poem I had to memorize when I was in 8th grade. 1948. What is So Rare As a Day in June, by James Russell Lowell. It is the only poem I know by heart and it is amazing to me that I remembered almost all the words.

"And what is so rare as a day in June?
Then, if ever, come perfect days;
Then Heaven tries earth if it be in tune,
And over it softly her warm ear lays;
Whether we look, or whether we listen,
We hear like murmur, or see it glisten;
Every clod feels a a stir of might;
An instinct within it that reaches and towers,
And, groping blindly above it for light,
climbs to a soul in grass and flowers;"... 
and that is as far as I got in my memorization of this lovely poem, but I was only 13 years old.

Oh yes, I reworked a face today. I had temporarily lost the spontaneous bold paint stroke while working on a few women's faces and a child.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you. Please leave your comments and suggestions on what you would like to see on this blog.